What is Warsaw Old Town known for?
Warsaw's Old Town (Stare Miasto) occupies the elevated western bank of the Vistula River, where medieval Warsaw was founded in the 13th century. By the 18th century, the district contained one of Central Europe's most complete assemblies of Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque townhouses, centred on a market square surrounded by patrician mansions whose facades had been rebuilt in Baroque style after the fires and wars of the 17th century.
The systematic destruction ordered by Hitler following the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 reduced this historic fabric to rubble — along with 85 percent of the entire city. The decision to rebuild the Old Town was deeply political: restoring Warsaw's historic character meant asserting the continuity of Polish civilisation against the Nazi programme of cultural erasure. Polish architects, historians, and thousands of volunteers gathered every surviving photograph, drawing, and document available, but the most valuable resource turned out to be the vedute — precise topographic paintings of Warsaw — made by Bernardo Bellotto (nephew of the famous Venetian Canaletto, and known in Poland by the same name) during the 1770s. Bellotto's paintings were detailed enough to use as architectural drawings; the reconstructors used them, along with building surveys, to recreate the 18th-century streetscapes with remarkable accuracy.
The Old Town Market Square (Rynek Starego Miasta) was completed by the early 1950s and the Royal Castle, which the German authorities had explicitly blown up as a symbol of Polish state power, was rebuilt between 1971 and 1984 using private donations from Polish citizens. The Old Town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1980, with the citation noting that the reconstruction "constitutes an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the thirteenth to the twentieth century."